Friday, January 15, 2016

Links to this post

Shh! Algolia for the Win

Sitting in our dining room, discussing our kids’ room full of books, I decided to regale our kids with a story about the old days of the library: rows of “card catalogs," little pieces of paper to jot down call numbers, etc. This got them very excited, and they love building things, so they were gearing up to re-create just such a system in their bedroom. 

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Should we use multiple input fields to prevent mistakes by users?

Links to this post
(Also posted at technology.stitchfix.com)

At Stitch Fix, we’re working on our sign-up flow. During this process, we debated whether we should have a single password field, or, as many sites do, two— the second one being a “password confirmation”.

Some sites use the same technique with email and email confirmation.

I found quite a few articles that advocated certain practices around this, but I thought it would be useful to synthesize them in one place. At the end, I offer some recommendations. 

Monday, February 10, 2014

Favorite Tech Interview Technique

Links to this post
Inspired by the fun at hack nights around town, I've stumbled upon my new favorite interview exercise. I've been meaning to write this up for a couple months, and just stumbled onto a very similar idea by a fella named Ben Schwarz.

tl;dr -- have the candidate bring in an open source project and hack on it together.

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Switching Away from Root Domains

Links to this post

This weekend I moved my site amp-what.com from a PHP hosting service to Heroku. This move will give me more control; the site is an SPA, and I've struggled to get some page rank in Google with only one page. If I put it behind a node app, I'll have flexibility to add URLs freely in a way that isn't possible on LAMP stack.

Setting up the node app was surprisingly easy, and getting it up on Heroku was, of course, painless. But the final process of transferring DNS tripped me up.

My canonical URL was http://amp-what.com. After much thought, I decided to change my canonical domain to www.amp-what.com, because it would be easier and clearer. Here's why I did it.